Monday, February 23, 2015

Alan Carr takes Yap, Yap, Yap on tour

Alan Carr takes Yap, Yap, Yap on tour
Following up Spexy Beast and Tooth Fairy, award-winning talk show guy Alan Carr is hopping on board the national touring bus for the first time in three years. Admitting that taking his stand-up shtick on the road ‘keeps me out of mischief’, this ebullient comic will be playing 120 venues, both large and medium, in an attempt to satisfy a remarkably loyal fanbase.
He could have played a bunch of arenas and had the tour done and dusted in a month, but Carr wants to get more up close and personal with his crowd
‘In those big places you can’t talk to the audience. If you mention the jumper of someone in the front row, 11,999 other people say, “what’s he on about?” With arena shows, the material doesn’t evolve.’

He believes that playing in such vast auditoria means that taking risks takes second place
‘You don’t want to take the gamble of trying out new stuff in front of 12,000 people. When you put a show on in a theatre, everyone there feels they’ve had a unique night that won’t happen anywhere else.’

Carr insists that Yap, Yap, Yap is his most personal touring show to date
‘It’s about co-habiting and how it affects you. I talk about my partner. The show is about my life, so he has to be in it. I didn’t want to start lying and saying I still live on my own in Stretford.’

And how did he feel about being part of the show?
'My partner doesn’t necessarily like it, but I said to him, “look, it’s paying the bills. See those shoes you’re wearing? Comedy bought them, so stop moaning!” The show is about manning up.’

Alan Carr is on tour now.

No comments:

Post a Comment